When seeking any medical treatment, it is important to know your doctor is qualified. As there are a few types of doctors in Australia who treat varicose veins, it’s therefore important to understand their experience, qualifications and capability. A starting point might be to look at:

  1. Specialty of the doctor,
  2. Level of training in the particular procedure
  3. The number of procedures they’ve performed
  4. Their outcomes after performing the procedure

Venous treatments performed by experienced doctors are generally quite safe and carry little risk.  Nonetheless it’s important that you’re entirely comfortable with your treating doctor and to understand the different doctors who can treat you. 

What is a Phlebologist?

This title generally applies to doctors who have experience in treating veins. Even though it is not a formal title approved by the APHRA (Medical Board), Phlebologists will often have significant expertise in the non surgical treatment of varicose veins.  They may spend years of training gaining these skills to perform endovenous laser ablation, foam sclerotherapy or Venaseal procedures. The Australian College of Phlebology and the ANZ Society of Phlebology are 2 organizations in Australian who help with the training of Australian doctors perform vein treatments. In Australia “Phlebologists” have been pioneers over the past 2 decades in improving standards of vein care globally.

Vein Specialist

This title is generally used by Australian specialists who have an expertise in vein treatments. They maybe members of the Royal Australian College of Radiology, Royal Australian College of Surgeons and Royal Australian College of Dermatologists. It is not a formal title as such, as there is no current “vein specialty” but does indicate that your doctor has specialist medical credentials and experience in treating venous disorders. Specialist training programs in Australia are generally considered rigorous and intensive and well respected globally.

Vascular Surgeons

These surgeons are Australian specialists in the field of arteries and veins. As their name implies they are experts in performing surgery and spend years of training in public hospitals before being able to operate independently. Many vascular surgeons will not only be capable of performing surgical stripping of your varicose veins but also familiar with the newer vein treatments such as endovenous laser ablation and foam sclerotherapy.  Being a vascular surgeon means that you’re part of the Royal Australian College of Surgery and also entitles one to use a Specialist title. 

How do I Check if My Doctor is a Medical Specialist?

The easiest way to check your doctors’ credentials is to search on the APHRA (Medical Board)’s Register of doctors.

Seek expert advice

The doctors at The Vein Institute specialise in varicose vein treatment. We offer patients a comprehensive treatment program to treat varicose veins, with non-surgical laser treatment techniques. The benefits of laser treatment to patients are;

  • Walk-in walk-out treatment
  • 98% success rate
  • Extremely effective
  • Can be performed at a clinic (no hospitalisation)
  • No general anaesthetic
  • Medicare rebates apply
  • No downtime or time away from work

To book a consultation and discuss our treatment program, call 1300 535 017. Or, complete the form below to receive a call back from one of The Vein Institute team.

About Dr Zil Yassine

Dr Zil Yassine (BA MBBS Uni. NSW, MA Harvard, Fellow (College of Phlebology UK) specialises in the non surgical treatment of varicose veins. He completed training as a Specialist General Practitioner (FRACGP 2014) in Sydney before successfully completing the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine examinations that same year. He has been a doctor for over 10 years and has performed thousands of venous interventions and gives talks on vein treatments at vascular surgeon conferences. Dr Yassine also holds the following degrees: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Surgery (UNSW), Masters of Arts (Harvard University), Diploma of Diagnostic Ultrasound in Phlebology (ACP).